If you live in the southeastern part of the South Eastern part of the United States, you know that taking care of lawn can be difficult if you don’t know what your doing. With a change of mindset and a little planning though, will be able to enjoy a beautiful, strong organic lawn in no time.
Organic lawns are not just treated with fertilizers 4 times a year, but your actually putting into place cultural habits to help nurture the life in the soil, then the soil can help nurture the grass. As mentioned earlier this takes a change of how you think about your lawn, time, effort, and money, but it will be worth it in the long run.
Consider the following 6 steps to get you to your new Southern organic garden:
1. Make sure to thicken your lawn – Spread grass seed on your existing lawn in order to help it obtain that nice and lush green and weed free swath. Consider over seeding in the fall as that is the best time for this.
2. Feed your lawn with compost – If you add compost to the soil you will be able to increase the soil’s organic matter content drastically. This will also help to improve the amount of water the soil retains as well.
3. Water your lawn in a wise manner – We southerners know that in the summertime our lawn is where most of our water usage goes. By incorporating organic practices into your lawn, selecting the right kind of grass, and using compost liberally can help you use less water on your lawn in the long run.
4. Cut your lawn high – According to the University of Maryland, mowing your lawn 3 inches high is just as effective if not more effective than applying herbicides to it, in order to prevent crabgrass from growing.
5. Keep your grass clippings – When cutting your grass make sure to keep your grass clippings instead of disposing of them. The grass clippings add valuable organic nutrients and nitrogen to the soil which will help you have to fertilize your lawn less.
6. Feed your lawn responsibly – True organic fertilizers will contain natural mineral sources from other plants and animals. Consider applying these types of fertilizers to your lawn instead of commercial type of fertilizers. Organic fertilizers will contain soil microorganisms that help break down the nutrients better, so that your lawn can easily take them up.
These simple steps will go a long way to help you obtain the perfect and the best organic lawn in the South East. Consider talking to your local landscape designer as he can help guide you through this process. Custom Landscaping and Designs provides all this and more if your looking for a great landscaper Greenville SC or landscape design Asheville NC area.
Find more information about organic lawn care here.